Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Is Hip Hop Still Dead? I Don't Think So: Here's Why

(B.o.B. & Wiz Khalifa)

Is Hip Hop Dead? That's a question that has been the topic of discussion for over 10 years. As I'm listening to the new Diddy-Dirty Money album (Last Train To Paris Exclusive Music Heads Review Coming Soon) I realized something. This is actually the BEST music that Hip Hop has ever made. I know some won't agree and before you start cussing and click the x in the browser tab think about this. Kanye West just released "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" (which I Love btw)and in my opinion I think Rap music fans are finally embracing real music being a part of the great culture of Hip Hop. There is a emerging genre of music that is finally seeming to peak it's head out of Hip Hop (Rap) music. New artists like Drake, B.o.B., Kid Cudi, Nicki Minaj & Wiz Khalifa are bringing real music to the forefront. The new Hip Hop music is starting to have much more electronic and Trip Hop feel mixed with touches of Acid Jazz. Listen to "Ass on the Floor" by Diddy-Dirty Money, or "All of the Lights" by Kanye West. These songs embody influences from other genres that aren't Hip Hop. Drake's "So Far Gone" would not have been as accepted even 5 years ago when "Crunk was King." Jay Electronica is probably the most eclectic artist to recently sign to Jay Z's Roc-Nation has a sound that can only be explained as brilliantly genius. When I first heard "The Pledge" I knew that Electronica was on to something. (Jay E sampled the movie Eternal Sunshine of-the Spotless Mind)
I think the music has always been there but I am proud to see an audience hungry for music with actual substance production wise and lyrically. Today's Hip Hop fan is smarter, more intelligent and more scrupulous than ever and we as creators of music have a duty to give the fans what they want.

O.T. Griffin

Posted via email from Mogulnomics: Music.Media.Marketing.

No comments: